General Electric (GE) McKinsey Matrix Template (MS-Excel & MS-Word)
- Downloadable immediately
General Electric (GE) McKinsey Matrix MS-Excel &MS-Word template
The General Electric (GE) McKinsey Matrix template is a nine-cell (3 by 3) matrix used to perform business portfolio analysis as one of the steps in the strategic planning process.
The GE/McKinsey Matrix templates can be used in conjunction with, or as an alternative to, other tools such as S.W.O.T. Analysis and the Boston Consulting Group (BCG) Growth Share Matrix in basic strategic planning and analysis.
The GE-McKinsey matrix is a 3 X 3 matrix and is also known as the nine-box/nine-cell matrix.
Two main variables which are plotted on the X and Y axis are the “Market attractiveness” and the “Business unit strength”.
It uses multiple factors to define Industry Attractiveness and Business Unit Strength and therefore overcomes one of the main BCG Matrix limitations.
The GE/McKinsey Matrix identifies the optimum business portfolio as one that matches the company's strengths to the most attractive industry sectors or markets.
Thus, the objective of the analysis is to position each Strategic Business Unit (SBU) on the chart depending on the SBU's Strength and the Attractiveness of the Industry Sector or Market on which it is focused.
Each axis is divided into Low, Medium, and High, giving the 3 by 3 nine-cell matrix.
The matrix/methodology facilitates the positioning of each strategic business unit (SBU) in the appropriate matrix cell.
Different strategies are suggested for each matrix cell. There are 3 main strategies which the GE McKinsey matrix suggests, which are grow, hold, and harvest.
It points to the most attractive SBUs, in terms of the market attractiveness and the unit’s strength. The suggested strategy is to invest/grow the SBUs that have most strength in markets that are most attractive and harvest/divest in those that are weak in unattractive markets.
Excel GE McKinsey Matrix Excel template
The GE McKinsey Matrix Excel template, allows the user to calculate up to 10 SBUs to be plotted. Up to 10 different factors can be used to calculate Industry Attractiveness, Typical factors are Market Size, Market Growth Rate, Industry Profitability, Competitive Rivalry, etc.
Up to 10 factors can also be used to define SBU Strength. Typical factors are Market Share, Distribution Channel Access, Financial Resources, R&D Capability, Management Resources, etc.
The rating values for each factor are entered for each SBU and Industry Sector on a scale of 1 to 9.
The SBU Strength and Industry Sector Attractiveness are calculated and the GE McKinsey Excel Matrix is automatically produced.
MS-Word GE McKinsey Matrix template
The MS-Word GE McKinsey Matrix template facilitates presentation of the results of the business portfolio analysis in a report/business plan or other MS-Word document.
Up to 6 entries can be made in each of the nine cells.
The template can be copied into any document and edited as the standard MS-Word Table feature.
Check out the General Electric GE McKinsey User Guide for full details of both templates.
We also provide Boston Consulting Group (BCG) Growth Share Matrix Templates which you can use to generate a BCG Matrix. Our SWOT Matrix Templates can be used to generate the results of a SWOT analysis.
The MS-Word or Excel GE-McKinsey matrix templates are available individually or alternatively both templates combined and get 33% discount or our complete Strategic Planning Package (includes SWOT, BCG and GE-McKinsey templates) and get up to 50% discount!
All your purchases come with a "No quibble MONEY BACK GUARANTEE"
Key Features of the GE McKinsey MS-Word template
- Up to 10 different SBUs can be analyzed using the MS-Excel template
- Up to 10 different factors can be used to define Industry Attractiveness,
- Typical factors are Market Size, Market Growth Rate, Industry Profitability, Competitive Rivalry, etc.
- Up to 10 factors can also be used to define SBU Strength.
- Typical factors are Market Share, Distribution Channel Access, Financial Resources, R&D Capability, Management Resources, etc.
- Rating values for each factor are entered for each SBU and Industry Sector on a scale of 1 to 9.
- The SBU Strength and Industry Sector Attractiveness are calculated and the GE McKinsey Excel Matrix is automatically produced.
- The format used to produce the GE McKinsey Matrix is a MS-Excel Bubble Chart.
- Industry Attractiveness and Business Strength are plotted on the X and Y axes.
- The size of the Bubble allows a further factor to be depicted on the chart.
- The default factor used is Market Size.
- A dropdown list is available, allowing the user to dynamically select any of the Industry Attractiveness factors as an alternative.
- A fully customizable Excel template
- Uses only standard Excel features.
- The MS-Word template generates an appropriately formatted 3X3 matrix
- The Word 3X3 matrix can be copied directly into any Word document,
- The template if fully customizable within the selected document
- Uses the standard MS-Word Table format
- Up to six SBU entries can be made in each of the 3X3 cells
- Simple to setup and use – check out our comprehensive User Guide
- Outstanding customer service and support -- just check out what our customers say
- No Quibble Money Back Guarantee
Related Templates and Bundles
Other strategic planning offerings include:
- Individual Excel SWOT, Word SWOT or PowerPoint SWOT matrix templates are available or
- A combined Excel, PowerPoint and Word SWOT package is also available
- Check out our Strategic Planning Workbook
- Our Boston Consulting Group (BCG) Growth Share Matrix Templates can the chosen.
- Our Strategic Planning Templates Package (includes SWOT, BCG and GE-McKinsey templates) is also available
- A PEST Analysis template is available as a standalone item or packaged with the SWOT analysis template.
- A Porter's Five Competitive Forces template.
Need Something Different
If the features of the GE-McKinsey templates are not exactly what you need, please contact us and we will see if we can meet your needs.
No Quibble Money Back Guarantee
Security and Payment
The site is fully protected using the industry leading Geo-Trust SSL security system.
Payments via all major credit cards, Apple Pay and Google Pay are processed using Stripe payment processing and we also accept PayPal payments.
Once payment is processed, the items purchased can be downloaded immediately.